Friday, November 27, 2009

Cancer patient pensioner, 69, devastated by theft of bird table

A CANCER sufferer preparing for a life-saving operation was shocked to find thieves had struck at his Swindon home.
Keith Hawkes, 69, from Walcot, is awaiting the removal of a tumour from his throat in the Neptune Ward at the Great Western Hospital.
The father-of-three was upset to be told by his daughter Claire that thieves had stolen a 3ft wooden bird table from his back garden when he was in hospital.
He told the Adver he’d been looking forward to recovering at his council house by watching the birds feed from the table.
“It’s terrible,” said Mr Hawkes, a former Great Western Railway Works fireman on the footplate.
“I couldn’t believe it when my daughter told me what had happened. I don’t understand why someone would want to take it.
“It was something I was really looking forward to seeing when I got home. It was keeping me going.
“I usually watch the birds fly in and out for hours every morning.
“It’s always lovely to see.”
Mr Hawkes, who was diagnosed with throat cancer in July, said thieves must have got over the back fence. He said none of his neighbours had spotted anything unusual.
“It’s upsetting to think someone has come into my garden and taken my property,” said Keith.
“I did have a tear in my eye when I was told it had gone.”
He said he hopes the bird table will be returned as soon as possible.
Any information about the theft can be passed onto Swindon Police by calling 0845 408 7000.
Alternatively ring Crimestoppers, where information can be left anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

(Reproduced from the Swindon Advertiser, Nov 27th)

GARDIEN Tip: Make it as difficult as possible for unwanted people to get into your garden. See the advice at http://www.garden-security.co.uk/garden-crime-prevention.aspx

No comments: